Tuesday, June 22, 2010

SENSORY INTEGRATION

Well, Ayden Jane is at it again! She is absolutely out of control, wild right now. It is like she can barely stand to be in her own skin. What does that look like? Well, let me take you back to Sunday. She was a bit loud and obnoxious at home. She seemed to bang things, trip over things, talk really loud and was even clenching her teeth. She had been at the PT's house for the evening the night before and was playing with her 3 adorable, energetic little ones so at first I joked that it was just too much therapy for one night. Later in the day, Kayla looked at me and said, "seriously Mom. Don't leave her there again." She was joking, but Ayden Janes craving for deep input by wanting to wrestle, chase and 'play catch' was driving her nuts.

I took Ayden Jane to the playground and I discovered just how wild she was. She wiped out pretty major a couple of times because she just would not slow down enough to stay under control when doing things that were a bit challenging. Then she climbed onto a platform about waist high on me, grinned and took a flying leap! I caught her in mid air and she was mad. Are you kidding me? 2 yr. olds should not be jumping from table height!

It gets worse. There are monkey bars there and a 3 rung ladder to get up to them. The rungs are far enough apart that when she is standing on the top rung she is head and shoulders taller than me. She zipped up the ladder and then jumped for the monkey bar she couldn't quite reach. Yep. I caught her again. Next time she zipped up the ladder and then tried to spin and jump off the other direction so I couldn't catch her. Luckily I am still slightly quicker. Lastly, she zipped up and then tried to push me away so she could make her leap. Crazy kid. I was done with this game so we found some other things to do and finally went home.

So it is 2 days later and only a few bruises and scrapes later. (and one tired Mom) Other interesting differences out of this, she gets REALLY irritated if you touch her lightly. She wants lots of hugs. (the best part) She gets frustrated easily. She is clingy to me. HATES the thought of a nap.

What do I see emerging? Well, we have had some perfect, clear, complete sentences. I think, however, the neuronal connections being made relate to fine motor skills. The only thing that keeps her still is to do tiny fine motor activities. Jen gave us some little beads that pop together. Last Wed. in PT she occasionally had success. Today she sat and put them all together, pulled them apart and did it all over again in a row! She is also now stringing tiny beads. She is obsessed with markers...

Well, it is usually a 2 week turn around so we will see if the pattern continues!

Just for fun. This is what I found in my kitchen after Ayden Jane was finished playing.

No comments:

Post a Comment