Friday, December 16, 2011

Carnitine Craziness

The other day when I received AJ"s lab results, the carnitine was still pending. Now our history with carnitine is that we supplemented but the blood work last April showed it to be low. We could have tried to increase the dosage, but her dose was already pretty good for her weight. Instead we decided to mix the forms of carnitine a bit to see if we could get a better uptake from it. I went from 1 cap a day of carnitine fumarate 500 (CF) to 1/2 cap of CF and 1/2 cap of carnitALL 600. So, all in all, not a big increase in quantity. The CarnitALL has a mixture of carnitine including CF, but the big change is that it has some acetyl carnitine. Well, we went from low to just barely out of range high. Perfect!

It just shows again how her little system just has trouble sometimes absorbing certain nutrients as well as using them. The iron, one form changed nothing, the other worked wonders. B12- the forms seem to help differently... I guess I'm a bit geeky as I find it fascinating and wish I could understand the whys! In the end, I am just happy to have options and doctors who are willing to guide my crazy ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment