Saturday, August 1, 2015

Perspective

I watched Ayden Jane play at the beach today. More specifically, I watched her work crazy hard to keep up with twins one year older (who are very athletic). She rode boogie boards with them. The waves were big and the current strong but she kept at it. She was a part of the gang and she was very happy to be with them.

In the water she can hold her own. Then they decided to play a beach tennis sort of game. Um, racket sports and Ayden Jane do not get along. The kids were so kind to her. She took turns and tried. The boy did his best to teach her and was so patient but it was obvious that Ayden Jane was not coordinated enough.

As I watched, I was incredibly proud of and in awe of her, and at the same time felt sad for her. It's a strange thing to watch her join in with other kids. Well, to be honest, these kids are typical born and raised beach kids so keeping up with them in the water is really rough. But that aside, watching her attitude as she is fearless to try. Not just try to keep up with the boogie boarding because she is pretty good at that but to continue to try to play the tennis game. She does not get upset or angry when she can't do it. She doesn't get embarrassed that it is hard for her to do. She just keeps trying her best and is thankful to be a part. (okay, I'm pretty sure she didn't realize that she was terrible, but that may be her greatest gift)

So I watch in awe as she is so incredibly happy to just plug away and be a part even though it takes tremendous effort. I wait for her to get frustrated. I think she will soon tire of not being able to do new things the first time. I couldn't be more wrong ... for now.

I pray she will always have the innate confidence to try new things and join in with new kids.  Along with that, however, I pray she will continue to find kind children. We have been blessed so far. She has stumbled across mostly all patient children who have been very kind to her. She feels like the pool, which is a vacation spot in the summer, is her own personal endless sea of new friends to be made. She talked a crew of 4 cousin's she met at the pool visiting from another state into playing a game with her. She plays fair, doesn't complain when she gets caught or is it and smiles the whole time.

I still wish things came easier and she was truly good at some things, but I need to learn from her that the joy really is in just playing the game. Being the best or winning is not really a concern.

No comments:

Post a Comment