Sunday, August 14, 2011

Hope in the Little Things

Hope for the future can be seen in the little things.

This morning Ayden Jane and I went to church. She headed to a preschool class for 3 year olds. As usual, I noted on her name tag, "no goldfish" and found the teacher to show her Ayden Jane's little backpack with snack. They pretty well know the drill, but I always reinforce. Then, toward the end of the service, I was in a hallway (yes, not actually in the service but that's irrelevant, lol.) and could see the playground out the window. Ayden Jane was on the swings with five other 3 and 4 yr. olds. She was swinging away, grinning ear to ear and obviously singing. Most of the other kids needed to be pushed... and AJ was flying high. Then she stopped and went to climb and slide and walk the balance beam. She was so happy and just fit right in with all the other kids. It was the sort of scene a mom of a special needs kid dreams of.

After church we went to Habaneros for lunch. It was Kayla's birthday and we had not planned to celebrate 'til Thursday, but Gary's schedule... Anyway, we got AJ a grilled chicken fajita quesadilla. Basically, a soft, slightly doughy tortilla with grilled chicken, green peppers and onions. There were chips and queso on the table and AJ never once asked for one. Then when her food came I just gave her the plate. Usually AJ shares with us and we give her a plate with bits from everybody. In that case there is nothing she cannot eat on the plate. Ayden Jane opened the quesadilla and began to eat the peppers and things with a fork. She cleared it out and then said, "I all done, I don't eat the bread mom. Wow, my belly is full!"

I think I will have pleasant dreams tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment