Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Halloween

Halloween was a couple of days ago, but I figured I would write up how we handled it, how it went and some ideas for future years.

So, what did we do? Divide and conquer. We decided that Ayden Jane was just too young to really understand the whole trick or treating thing and we had another option so we went with it. Mckenna wanted to trick or treat with friends so she and Gary did that.

Let's first talk costume. AJ wanted no part of the costume. Her sister Mckenna was all decked out in her costume as a can of bug spray, but AJ was not interested in dressing up. I am sure it is the result of her latest little sensory spurt as she is back to asking for tags to be cut out, if clothes are itchy before putting them on, complaining and yet obsessed of all things texture... She decided she wanted Kayla to paint butterfly's on her cheeks and was thrilled with that so we were all happy.

AJ, Kayla and I went to a fall festival which was basically loads of bouncy houses, slides and obstacle courses. Hmmm. I'd say it was basically the choice of therapy over candy. Good choice. Anyway, AJ had a blast and especially loved the long caterpillar looking tunnels. She went over and over. Honestly I think she probably took 50 turns on the slides, tunnels, jumpy houses... by the time the night was over. The candy is given out in a little bag at the end at a separate area that I never even saw. Great fun with no worries! As a treat on the way home we went through McDonald's and got 'apples and nuts'. Otherwise known as the fruit and walnut salad. AJ does not eat the yogurt, but the apples, grapes and walnuts are a big treat to her. Perfect evening.

Not sure what the future will bring, but I foresee trick or treating a bit but using the Halloween Fairy or Great Pumpkin trick. Let her choose a cupful of treats to keep but putting the rest out on the porch to be replaced by a present. I think I would have gone for that myself as a kid! I know Mckenna will go for it with us if needed. I would likely amend it a bit as well and have things like dark chocolate almonds that she loves, but I am more comfortable with as part of her cup of treats.

1 comment:

  1. We are doing the Halloween Fairy to take the candy starting the first year Mackenzie knows what is going on. My friend with non PWS children does it because their dentist recommended it.

    ReplyDelete