Friday, May 20, 2011

Catching Up

Hang with me on this post. I have had about 100 things go through my head lately that I wanted to write about and I have no idea what order they will come out in!

Here is a cute one to start with. The last day of school for AJ a friend in her class gave all the kids a gift. It was a simple plastic cup with a piece of chalk, a little toy and a blow pop in it. I just happened to be there a bit early so I was there when she discovered it above her hook. She took one look into the cup and said, "look Mom I got a toy for me and candy for Mckenna! Can I give it to her when we get home?" I could have cried to see that she genuinely never even considered that she might eat the candy and that she was genuinely so happy for Mckenna.

Next up, still about food. Guess there is no escaping that... So, if you have followed for a while, you know that AJ does not eat grains or sugar. We do not, however, require the other 3 kids to follow that rule. Now, I am not saying that they sit around and flaunt a cookie or cupcake in front of her or anything, but they don't hide out in the other room either. It has happened over time, not planned, just happened, that I am sort of AJ's ally. I didn't even realize it was happening and then at dinner the other night I heard it straight from Ayden Jane. "Noah, you eatin' bread with supper? Momma and I don't eat bread." And another time when one of them had some candy, "Is that candy? Momma and I don't eat candy." Hmmmm. It does make sense that she is comfortable with an ally at her side. For the record, I do not stick to those rules after AJ's bed time, but I am happy to eat like AJ and be her ally when she is around.

Carnitine. I am happy with the increase so far. Ayden Jane has had a nasty cold so it has been a bit difficult to judge things like sleeping well through the night... but I know that she has been mentally quicker. Jen even noticed it right off when she came Wed. Her body does not yet respond fast enough to her quicker brain so she has trouble with running into things a bit and no patience for slowing down and improving quality of movement. I don't think that is necessarily a bad thing, just a temporary side effect that she will overcome. For example, after swimming tonight she sat quietly worked a fine motor activity independently she has never been able to do well with help. It just took a lot of energy release and deep sensory input to prep her.

I will try to do better, but with Kayla graduating and Mckenna's birthday on the horizon it will be a challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment