Saturday, May 14, 2011

Looking Back

Yesterday Ayden Jane took part in a trike-a-thon to raise funds for St. Judes Hospital. It was priceless!! Yes, we took lots of pictures and video but with Kayla's camera. So, I will stop talking about it until I can get her to get them downloaded.

The whole day/experience and the ending of AJ's first school year just made me think back. This time last year Ayden Jane did not really talk much, certainly not to people she didn't know. She had started in the mom's morning out program a couple of days a week, and it was going well, but I was definitely still stressed about how this whole school thing would go. I mean AJ liked the couple of days she went, but the thought of her sitting in circle and paying attention and playing with the other kids almost seemed far fetched.

She was still tiny and did not stand up for herself much. Mostly, when in a group of active kids she just watched. I know that even just watching was good for her as she was really just sort of taking it all in, but I longed for her to participate. I guess part of me knew what was in her and wanted every one else to see it too and not sell her short! She was really the kid that could easily be overlooked but desperately needed encouragement.

This time last year, going back to work seemed improbable. AJ just needed more time. There just seemed too much PWS in our lives for there to be room for much else.

Now, Ayden Jane does not stop talking. She can get a bit repetitive, but really is more and more truly conversational all the time. She talks to most anyone. She has friends in her class at school. She loves to name all the friends in her class and who got in trouble that day and who she played with on the playground... just like my others did. She occasionally gets into trouble, but those times have been few and far between. She loves the stories in circle and has learned so many things! Letters, numbers, colors, shapes.... She has been a sponge.

As the year has gone on, I am told by her teachers that she is participating in the group activities with ease now. She is much better at keeping up when songs have motions or do things quickly. She is proud of her little art projects and just loves school. (it is going to be missed this summer!)

I am ready to return to work. Doing what? Well, I guess we will see what comes along this fall. I just know that Ayden Jane is ready, St. Peter's is on top of all things Ayden Jane and I am thrilled that each day no longer seems consumed with PWS. Don't get me wrong, there is always a part of me that is pws radar switched on, but it finally seems that the PWS radar can run in the background now. I am ready for some other things to take center stage. What you ask? I have no idea, but I am excited to see what comes along.

1 comment: