Thursday, November 1, 2012

Perspective

As most of you know, we have a total of 4 children.  To some people this seems like a LOT of kids.  I have to be honest that it doesn't seem like such a large number to me (although on a bad day, I have been known to think otherwise).

It is just fascinating to see the similarities and differences between the kids.  It is awesome to watch them together and enjoy watching them grow.  I wish sometimes we could just scoop them all up and head off on a secluded vacation and just enjoy them and hang out as a family.

The real point of this post though, is our unique situation of having kids at such different stages.  On one hand, it is really cool to be able to see 'the whole picture' all at once.  I know, it's not like we really have the WHOLE picture, we don't have infants or adult kids with grand kids or anything...  But we do span preschool to college!  That's plenty.

It has given me great perspective with the younger ones. I remember my first time through preschool and how huge and important things seemed.  Now they seem important in different ways and I look more for ways to enjoy them.  That is partly because Ayden Jane is different and I just jump up and down with joy for achievements that place her as average, but still... As Mckenna is on the edge of heading toward middle and high school and those years of pressure I hope to help her have great perspective on what is important.  Simply put, God.  She has talent galore, brilliance, beauty and a sweet spirit.  The key to finding her way and  and growing up happily is to know God and allow Him to guide the use of such talent.  It is so easy to get caught up in our kids talents and abilities, but for our family, staying rooted in faith makes them confident, content kids. When they begin to trust in their own abilities it begins to get rocky...

I don't say this as a parent who has already done everything right.  (like there are any of those!)  But being able to look back and see what has worked and where we went off course.  All the rocky patches are rooted in finding value in what the kids could DO not who they ARE.  Often times because they found their own value based on their accomplishments and then discovered that sometimes others were smarter, faster, stronger, more talented...  Then what?  It is easy to do this as parent as well.  We are proud of their successes and sometimes it seems like that is why we love them or are proud of them.

The best 2 solutions possible for this pitfall are experience and Ayden Jane.  Experience, because we learn from mistakes...  Ayden Jane because we all love Ayden Jane for who she is.  We admire her determination and know she is valuable.  I mean know beyond a shadow of a doubt that she is awesome and has a purpose.  She sucks in all the positive vibe and is just happy to be who she is.

Yep.  If I could go back and do it all over again with my other 3, I would do my best to build them up and cheer on their every tiny step.  I'd drop everything and tell them how awesome they are for no reason at all other than because God made them just like they are with unique, amazing personalities and gifts.

Good night all.  I have some kids to find ..

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing, Janet. I think it's great that you are at a point where you can both look back *and* still look forward. What a gift. :)

    ReplyDelete