Monday, August 9, 2010

I have to say I am excited about Ayden Jane starting preschool. I am excited for her as she is just really ready to play with kids her age and even though she doesn't always show it on the outside I know she is having a great time.

For me, it is a huge sense of relief. In so many ways! I had no idea what turning 3 and exiting early intervention would look like. We were so blessed that I was able to stay home with Ayden Jane during the first 3 years to learn all I could and work with her and learn to understand her. From sign language to just understanding her body language... It was just harder for her to communicate. I learned when she was tiny to catch signals that she was hungry and full. Very subtle, but there. I learned to distinguish whimpers instead of cries. I learned to just 'see' when she was crashing (blood sugar related I would guess) before it was a problem. I realized that often what looked like sleepy was a need for more frequent fuel stops. I learned basic sign and Ayden Jane learned the joy of communicating. It was a wonderful blessing to be able to immerse myself in all things Ayden Jane.

I think, we are both ready to move forward. This summer I have run into lots of people and I find the ever resounding discussion is, "I haven't seen you in a while..." Well, unless you are a PT or ST or Dr., unless you hang out at playgrounds with climbing equipment, unless you frequent the health food store in town, unless you run at very odd hours when the rest of the world is sleeping, unless you are on the sideline of a sports event than no, you haven't seen me in a while. New people have seen us, just that my path took a sudden turn and in part, I left my old life.

The best part is, Ayden Jane is doing so great and I think that this year I will get to merge my old life and my new life somehow. I will be thrilled to see my new 'PWS friends' at the upcoming conference, but I will also be back in my kids schools. (as a volunteer not an employee, but still involved) I know that our challenges are far from over, just that my role has yet again changed a bit. We will continue to do therapy and keep up on research and tweak diet and supplements and fund raise through the marathon, but the time and effort into those things is just less intense. In a lot of ways, preschool will hit a lot of those therapy areas for me. Lots of cutting, coloring, painting, gluing, role play, books, social skills ... the list goes on and on.

So, I breathe deep. I look forward to the next chapter. I am sure it will be just a busy, just as exciting, just as challenging, hopefully not as hard on the heart strings. I know I will head into this chapter with God's guidance (assuming I remember to listen) and the support of family and friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment