Sunday, August 15, 2010

"I need a go swimmin' Mom"

We are fast approaching the end of summer and lately my focus has been a bit off of Ayden Jane. Sometimes this is good and it is great to know that we can 'get away' with having her just tag along...

We had Mckenn'a party and Kayla's actual birthday. I worked several Pelicans games with Noah and had our anniversary. We are doing a bit of shopping and lots of paperwork to get all 4 kids ready to go back to school on Wed. I just did not MAKE the time each day to do sensory stuff with Ayden Jane. That would include swinging, climbing, bouncing, swimming, massaging...

Today (and a bit yesterday) I paid the price. Ayden Jane was miserable, therefore Mom was miserable. The best way to describe it would be to say that she was completely uncomfortable in her own skin. She couldn't stand to wear almost any shirt. She declared them all itchy and was obviously uncomfortable. She honestly walked into a few walls because she was going so fast but was not able to maneuver as well as usual. She was whiny, unreasonable and clingy and had lost all emotional stability. She could not focus on anything for longer than 2 seconds. She was pitiful. So by the end of the day I was exhausted, frustrated and wanted AJ far away from me, but also felt really bad for her. (Not to mention the fear of whether this was a glimpse into the rest of my life) Ayden Jane summed it up perfectly with a teary, "I need a go swimmin' Mom."

I mulled over the statement and finally I summoned the energy. Thankfully Noah and Mckenna were willing to pitch in and we took her swimming. She swam hard. She figured out how to take the pool noodle and ride it like a horse across the pool. She swam off the steps and back on. She jumped in. Noah threw her HIGH, really high into the air and she laughed and squealed, "I like dat. More Oah." She swam back and forth between us. An hour later the change in her was astounding. She was calm. She was reasonable. She was happy. She could walk in a straight line. I wish I was able to make the description even close to expressing how the storm was calmed. What must it be like to live in that body when it is so out of control? I don't know that I will ever understand sensory integration, but it is so clearly a big piece of Ayden Jane. Well, the lack of SI anyway. It is apparent to me, however, that motion and activity and touch... will always be needed for AJ. I will make time.

No comments:

Post a Comment