Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Iron

Here is a post I put on the holistic pws site:

We have recently added iron to Ayden Jane's supplements. Actually, we tried another form a while back when potty training because her stools are/were quite loose and I was a bit afraid of potty training that! It was a liquid form from our pediatrician but it stained her teeth horribly so I just quit, potty training was successful and I just left it there.

She is very independent with pottying (and everything else for that matter) and loose stool and a 3 yr. old, well you don't really want me to go there. I decided to give the iron another go and am using the ferrochel form of iron. It is an 18 mg capsule and I am giving her 1/2. I actually put the powder inside a little ball of almond butter. She thinks it is a grand addition to her breakfast!

It has been about a week and the original reason, the bathroom, has been successfully improved. Woo Hoo.

What I did not expect was the increase in energy. I know, if you know AJ, how in the world could her energy increase. Just know it has. She is also responding to things very quickly. It reminds me of the spurts we noticed from B12.

Her language is more clear. My 17 year old even commented on it this evening. Now, this may have nothing to do with the iron as she had a nasty cold around New Year's and may just finally be back on track. She is also talking NON STOP, but that is likely just the energy talking. I do feel like she is better at 'retelling' events of her day, but that is quite subjective ....

The really strange one is that she is suddenly drinking. I mean downing beverages like she has never had liquid before. I gave her a glass of almond milk in a 'big girl cup' (no top) and she drank it straight down almost choking herself because she drank it so fast. Now I don't normally have to chase her around the house like some folks to get her to drink (sorry Ali), but she is definitely a sipper. Might finish a drink in the course of a meal... She has even taken her cup to the refrigerator and filled it with water herself and drank it all straight down. I am not sure what to think of this, and am sort of expecting it to fade out over time but... any thoughts? Good thing or bad thing?

We will go see our local Endo Feb 1st and run it all by her and then we are participating in Dr. Miller's sibling study in April. I guess we will have blood levels well checked and I sure hope it all looks great because I am loving the boost it is giving her and the nice clean bathroom.

I would like to add that Jen came today. She was impressed with her stability through her hips and noticed within minutes that AJ was doing everything VERY fast. A little too fast at first. She was also surprised how much, non stop in fact, she was talking. Hmmmm. I guess time will tell

No comments:

Post a Comment