Sunday, March 13, 2011

Eating like AJ

Well, it is time. I have decided it is time to go back to eating like AJ. I say go back because I did so for a while about 2 years ago. At the time, I decided that if I was going to ask AJ to eat that way than I needed to walk the walk with her. I felt good physically and it was somehow good for me emotionally as well. (does that sound a little crazy?) The first week was hard, but it was really okay after that. So why did I quit? A little thing called a marathon. I just couldn't handle the discipline required for both at the same time!

I have decided it is time to return. Why you ask? Partially because it is good for me, but mostly because a huge benefit to it last time was that it forced me to become a bit creative with finding food alternatives. Nothing like going grain free and getting the late night munchies for a bowl of cereal, bag of chips...

So what does it mean to "eat like AJ?" For us it means no grains or sugars. Yep. Goodbye bread, cereal, oatmeal, crackers... No chips or cookies... No pasta (I am not a big fan anyway). We don't worry about the bit of breading on a chicken finger when we are out and about and we do give her dark chocolate for a treat. We don't really buy bananas because she wants them too often and they are about as high in sugar as it gets but she gets a half of one once a week or so at grandmas house. By eating this way with her, I know that I will be way more likely to search out things like almond milk or coconut milk "ice cream". Or grain free recipes. Or just do a better job making sure there are good meats and veggies at meals. Ayden Jane eats salad when I do so that really helps her too.

I will let you know how it goes! Just needed to write it down to make myself hold to it! The first week will be rough!

1 comment:

  1. Good for you! I go back and forth between trying to eat like Dean and not. Sometimes I do/can, sometimes I don't/can't. I wish food weren't so complicated for ME, then it would be easier to make it less complicated for *him.* Sigh.

    Let us know how it goes! And if you discover any yummy snacks/ideas along the way. :)

    ReplyDelete