Sunday, March 16, 2014

Kayla

The following is letter Kayla is working on describing what she is doing this summer.  It sounds pretty awesome and we are proud of her willingness to stretch herself and serve.

This summer I have the incredible opportunity to intern with Heart of Christ Ministries in La Ermita, Honduras. This faith-based ministry seeks to “impact the world by sharing Christ’s love in the form of serving others, meeting their needs, rescuing them from their suffering and discipling and empowering them to become the solutions to the problems around them.” Heart of Christ has many ministries to serve the people of Honduras. Their main ministry is to rescue victims of violence and abuse. Also, they help provide women and children with food, provide basic clothing for those in need, work with local doctors and clinics to better health care and provide necessary treatments, provide school supplies for those who need it, and provide disaster relief when needed. The opportunities to serve with this ministry are numerous. There are opportunities to preach and train pastors, visit orphanages, medical brigades, construction, and teaching. My internship will be specifically in languages and medicine. I will be teaching English in local schools as well as teaching sign language to the three deaf children in the local village. Additionally, I will be able to attend medical brigades to surrounding villages and provide the much-needed medical attention. While there, aside from my role as an intern, I will be living on site with 8 toddlers and 2 special needs children and will be able to spend time with them daily. I am so excited for this adventure and cannot wait to see what God has in store for me this summer.

            I will be in Honduras for 10 weeks. The cost for my daily living is $15 a day, as well as the cost for airfare. Altogether my trip will cost me about $2000. We have set up an account specifically for this Honduras mission trip in my name. I need your help to get there. I ask for your support in any way that you may be able to give it. Financial support is always a blessing, but prayer is also tremendously important. I will be in a very different environment and my comfort zone will be stretched daily. Thank you for all your prayer and support!  

No comments:

Post a Comment