Thursday, March 8, 2018

Looking Up

I have not been able to really spend time working on hard brain work with Ayden Jane this year. It has made it challenging for me to be able to check up on her processing, understanding and mental stamina as it relates to learning. I mostly want to know if increases in Pitolisant are improving things. Then illness came and made it impossible, or should I say made her impossible. Then with the addition of zinc she seemed to be heading back to her old self... and beyond.

With the added zinc and increased Pitolisant, Ayden Jane's brain is flying. She sat next to me while I was working the other night. She was working on an assignment on the chromebook where she had to make a brochure (there was a template) about the life of Harriet Tubman. I'll skip the details, but what was amazing to me was listening her read multiple paragraphs on a topic, like childhood, from two or three sources. Think through it all and then summarize what she felt were the important things to include in her project. There used to be sooooo many pieces in that process she would have struggled with. 

Then last night we tackled comparing and ordering fractions with unlike denominators. In 35 minutes she completely understood a least common multiple, how to make an equivalent fraction and independently ordered 11/12, 1/3 and 9/8 by writing their equivalent fractions in 24ths. 

Mind blown. I have taught for many years and that was impressive. 

Her body composition is still not yet really improving but I am loving the brain. For now, I'll take it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment