Sunday, December 6, 2009

Diet: Frequent High Nutrient Foods

In the thread of still filling in the basics of how we care for and 'do life' with Ayden Jane FOOD in a huge issue. We have chosen not to count calories, but to limit the kinds of food Ayden Jane eats instead. I cannot say that we fully do the Paleo Diet, but maybe our own version which fits our family. The easiest explanation is to say she is grain free/sugar free. Yep, no goldfish, cheerios, bread, crackers, cookies, cupcakes,candy... I know it sounds impossible and we just take it a day at a time, but WOW does it seem to be working.

So what does Ayden Jane eat? Lots of yogurt, eggs, chicken, beef, nuts, vegetables (as many as we can get her to anyway) and fruit. She still eats a crazy mixture of yogurt, flax meal and egg whites with a tad of honey and cinnamon. I have been introduced to almond butter (AJ's favorite), avocado's, and other things I would never have thought to feed my others when they were toddlers.

One big thing we noticed about Ayden Jane is that she will suddenly just run out of energy. I believe it is a hypoglycemia of sorts. It is like she has a small tank which requires specialized fuel. When that fuel runs out she just stops firing. She gets physically tired and mentally slow.

We have chosen to focus on alternatives for Ayden Jane instead of juggling limits. For example, in the church nursery they hand out little cups of goldfish for snack. I send a small plastic bag with almonds in it and request that they give AJ the almonds in her cup. Hopefully as she gets older she will be able to speak up about the things she knows she shouldn't have and chooses the appropriate alternatives. Hey, I know it is a lot to expect, but I figure kids with alergies (like to peanuts) have to do it.

It is a work in progress, but that's what writing this all out is for. I hope that as time goes on I will come across lots of great food ideas.

Janet

No comments:

Post a Comment