Sunday, December 13, 2009

Siblings

While this blog is mostly to write about raising our child with Prader-Willi Syndrome, it is incomplete without mentioning the great impact our other children have on her life as well as the great impact she has on theirs.

Let's start with the easy part. Kayla, Noah and Mckenna are Ayden Jane's greatest assets. They work with her, cheer her on, challenge her, are so proud of her, are great examples for her and keep her life busy with activity. They couldn't be better brother and sisters. Ayden Jane is in the parrot phase. She imitates them in every way she can and it is hilarious. She will do anything for their laughter, cheers and attention. They get her dancing, kicking balls, chase her all over the house, wrestle with her, read her books, draw with her and take her outside to swing... Ayden Jane has gone to more soccer games, volleyball games, basketball games, karate classes... Talk about having constant stimulation for a baby! I couldn't be prouder of how they love their little sister.

The harder part as a parent is the time and resources I have spent during the last couple years on Ayden Jane. Not just feeding and therapy and doctor's appointments, but reading and research until wee hours of the morning. I feel bad that Ayden Jane's needs have overshadowed their needs at times. I wish that the worry and stress of parenting Ayden Jane were invisible to them, but I know it was/is not. The financial strain has truly caused us to have to say no to the other kids on many occasions and I nearly cry when I think about how great they have been about it. I wish I could have spared them the fear and worry they went through as they had to process their baby sister having a scary problem they never heard of before. I am thankful for all the prayers they have said for Ayden Jane and for me during all of this.

In the end, I guess I just hope that Ayden Jane somehow enriches their lives as much as they so obviously enrich hers.

2 comments:

  1. Mom you left up the blog, so I decided i would let you know. We love you, and what you are doing for Ayden Jane. I would give anything and everything for her. I want the world for her and nothing less. She is not a burden, but a gift. A gift from God. God realized what a strong family we have so he decided to give us the oppurtunity and privelege to help raise a wonderful sister. She is the best little sister in the world. I love her so much and would never question that. When you have to say no to us we dont mind. As long as Ayden gets what she needs I will be content. If people are reading this I want them to know that my mom is the best mom in the world. She stays up late, just to make sure I get home safely she reads all this stuff that doesnt even seem like english just so she might be able to help ayden a little more. She loves God and our family more than anything in the world and we love her back! I am proud to be her son and would tell anyone in this world that. Mom now you know that I am the boy in the family and I dont cry. I can't tell you how much I cried when I read your blog because I dont want you to think that it ever bothers us that you love Ayden so much. She deserves all the attention. I haven't cried in forever but I am crying as I write this. I dont know why, dont ask me haha. I want you to know I love you. I love you, Ayden, Mckenna, Kayla, and dad more than anything. I want the best for Ayden. Thats all I have ever wanted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Noah, I love you so much. You are an awesome brother to all your sisters. You are the perfect brother for Kayla as you can get her to relax and bring out her fun side. Mckenna looks up to you (as all the little soccer dudes do) and loves it when you play with her. You are patient with them and I know you would do anything for any of them. They will always know that they can count on you to be there when they need you. As for Ayden Jane, she is blessed to have a big brother who loves her so much and she just lights up whenever "Oah" is around. You have grown up so much these past 2 years and sometimes I feel like I missed it. I know I haven't told you often enough that I love you and that your Dad and I are so proud of the young man you have become.

    ReplyDelete