Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Therapeutic Horseback Riding

Ayden Jane started riding at about 18 months. She rides through a program for special needs kids that is run by a wonderful lady who owns the barn and horses. She gives of her time and even does the leg work of grant writing... so that it is all free to the families. A huge benefit to families as horseback riding therapy is tough to get insurance companies to even consider!

Ayden Jane loves to ride Mindy. I have to be sure not to tell her too soon before it is time to go or she gets very impatient. Once it is time and we load up, I listen to Ayden Jane call, "MINDY! MINDY! MINDY!" Yes, she yells as if she expects Mindy to come up along side the car while we are on our way. It is about a 30 min. drive so I have learned to be sure she has distractions for the ride!

So what exactly does she do while riding? The horse is led around the ring and I walk along side, except on the rare occasions when there are enough volunteers for mom to take a therapy break. As we go around we play with balls and rings and other toys to get Ayden Jane to reach, throw (rotate) and really work that core. Jen (our PT) also gets her doing things like squatting, kneeling, half-kneeling... to work other things. Ayden Jane thinks she is so cool when she is doing tricks and she grins from ear to ear. Lately, she has been getting really frustrated with me for holding on to her while she rides. She wants to it all by herself! Tonight while she was riding Mindy shook. I mean the kind of shake that animals do where it starts at their head and works the whole way down to the tail. This in turn shook Ayden Jane. We watched to see her reaction. She grinned ear to ear and said, "Mindy shake" and then proceeded to do her best to imitate Mindy. After her interpretation, however, she was sure to lecture me about the fact that I held onto her leg too tight while the shaking was going on and attempted to push me away.

I love the independent streak. It will always keep things interesting and I am sure it will carry her far. There is just no telling this kid she can't do something or even that she needs help!

No comments:

Post a Comment