Monday, December 21, 2009

Language, language

Ayden Jane is on another spurt of development. This time it seems to be language. Yay!! As usual, however, this new spurt seems to have its bumps in the road as well.

Ayden Jane literally woke up this morning talking in full sentences. I know that sounds odd, but as she bounced in her crib I heard, "I want to cuddle Mama." Not just the usual, "cuddle mama." Then as she cuddled in bed she took a hold of my face and said, "I want go get snack mama." Okay, so it sounds more like, "I wan go get nak mama." (food the first thing on her mind was not surprising because she fell asleep without supper the night before) So far it just seems she is a bit chatty.

Out in the kitchen she heads for her chair. Only she is sort of narrating what she is doing. "I get in my chair." Then she says, "Mama cookin my eggy." The list went on. Maybe this does not seem strange to those of you with 26 month olds, but Ayden Jane usually speaks in 2 or 3 word 'sentences' and occasionally breaks through with a complete one now and again. She reserves her talking for needs and parroting. I have never heard her narrate before.

Later in the day we were at the playground and she was at it again. As she climbed the stairs she just kept talking. Here is where the bump in the road comes, however. It seems as she talks, there is not enough focus on the motor portion. She really had to hold onto the rail and moved very slowly. She even stumbled a bit and took FOREVER getting into position to come down the slide. Of course, as she was getting in position she kept telling herself what to do. "Sit down Ayden Jane. I go down the twisty slide." She also needed lots of help walking on the little 'wall' around the playground. It is black plastic edging of sorts which makes a great balance beam. She likes to walk on it and was even able to take a few steps without holding my hand a few months ago. Today, she was talking away, but was not able to pay attention to balancing herself and placing her feet where they should go...

It is like there is just too much going on for her brain to process the language and the motor all at the same time. We are off for 2 weeks from hippotherapy and physical therapy so I guess I am on my own to try to help her through for a bit. She has gotten pretty good at figuring it out herself though. She has even been asking for extra cuddles, to wear her back pack and sleeping a bit more than usual. Language is a great Christmas present! And maybe by New Year's we will get her activity back with the language intact. Couldn't ask for more.

No comments:

Post a Comment