Saturday, July 10, 2010

Fun Busy

This week, like most of this summer, was overflowing with business. It was truly fun busy though. Not pre planned for the most part, just non stop action. The last 2 days were highlights for Ayden Jane. We had 2 wonderful little boys stay with us over night on Friday night. They are 7 and 5. (I will stick with numbers for their names since I don't even think their parents know I have a blog let alone having asked them if I could name the boys.) Mckenna was great with them and they all played and played. Ayden Jane totally just tagged along and did her best to keep up. We went to the pool and AJ was very excited that, "(7) and (5) ride in my car." After they came back AJ just couldn't take any more and fell asleep on the sofa watching them play the wii. The next morning she was beyond thrilled that they were still here and continued to ask where they were after I took them home. I am pretty sure Ayden Jane thought she was going to get to 'keep' them.

We also finished a speech eval. Friday afternoon before they came. Ayden Jane did a great job talking to Nicole and I feel like we got results that truly show the best she is capable of. Nicole is going to write a report with the scoring to help me get the right speech services for Ayden Jane next fall as she ages out of early intervention and into the school systems programs. I know that the schools are limited as to what they are financially able to provide right now, but I am definitely interested in fighting for speech. I just think it is so important for her. She is doing well, but it definitely comes and goes and only comes with hard work. It is also hard to measure, but there is just something still a bit off in how she just gets over whelmed with 'newness' and the speech just shuts down.

Nicole mentioned a couple things quickly in explaining what the eval was measuring for articulation and it was amazing how true it was. Ex. Ayden Jane cannot do any blends. If two consonants come together in a word, she just uses whichever is easier to say. Instead of plan we get pan, sleep is seep, truck is tuck, brick is bick, snow is no, swim is wim... The good news is that she is hitting some of her endings much better. Now in the grand scheme of language development is this a really surprising result? No. I just know that over time, we have seen it in both motor development and language, that things don't just happen with Ayden Jane. Don't get me wrong. I know we are incredibly blessed because Ayden Jane responds so well to therapies that she is doing amazing. Sort of like she learns with ease and retains much of what she is taught, but she definitely still needs the professional instruction to break the skills down and keep her progress moving. I should have the scores and report in a couple weeks.

2 comments:

  1. I happened upon your blog and have been enjoying reading it. I have a daughter with autism, and some of the challenges she faces are similar to your Ayden Jane---and her name is Jane! Thanks for blogging---it's helpful for all of the moms of special kids out there to know there are others like us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you're enjoying it. It took some convincing to get me started. I gave in and started because I knew how much I loved reading about other kids, but it has been good for me too in the long run.

    ReplyDelete