Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Summer is Saved

Okay, so 'Summer is Saved' is a bit overly dramatic. It gives you a hint, though, into how excited I was tonight when Ayden Jane fell back in love with the ocean. It has been driving me nuts all summer that she would go NO WHERE NEAR the water of her own volition. The kid jumps in a pool and swims to the ladder by herself, but would go no where near the edge of the ocean. To add to the mystery, the first few times we were there early in the season, she tried to swim to Europe! I was really frustrated, seeing as how we live about a mile or so from the beach and my other kids all LOVE it.

In Ayden Jane's mind, swimming is what you do in the pool and surfing is what you do in the ocean. Lately, I would tell her to get her swimming suit on and she would immediately say, "I go swimmin' Mom. I not go surfin'. Ayden Jane not go surfin'." My question was why? I had a theory and it seems I was right. The water was just too cold. It is funny. Ayden Jane does not have big issues with temp. regulation, but must have minor ones. She just despises the 'cold' ocean water. Tonight the water was gorgeous and Ayden Jane ran in and out of it so proud of herself for 'surfin'. When we took her out deeper, though she became chilled to shivering in about 10-15 minutes. Once chilled she is DONE. Same thing at the pool. She will swim her little heart out, but as soon as she gets cold through she just wants out and headed home.

We had to laugh at Ayden Jane in the soft sand. It really all started on the fourth of July. We went to a minor league baseball game and after the game Mckenna found a small hill of grass to roll down. Remember, we live in coastal SC so my kids hardly ever see a hill. Well, of course, what Mckenna does so must AJ. It was quite comical to watch her figure out how to lay the right direction and then make her body roll. She loved it so much we actually stayed there a good 15 minutes just cheering her on as she rolled and ran back to the top. It probably looked pretty silly now that I think about it. Well, back to the beach. Ayden Jane still loves texture sooooo put the two together and there she was rolling and rolling across the soft sand. She was beautiful!

No comments:

Post a Comment