Saturday, July 24, 2010

Speech Therapy News

Nicole came yesterday and shared some of the results of testing she has been doing to get a good picture of where Ayden Jane's difficulties lie and to help me as I head to the school in the coming weeks to look to transition from early intervention speech to school district speech.

I do not have the test in front of me as Nicole is still using it to write up a report for the school, but I can't wait it out. I have to talk about it the best I can. The first section had some oral motor things. Moving tongue... Ayden Jane scored a 79 on that portion. (all scores are typical 85-115 within normal limits) I am not really concerned too much about it because I believe at least a portion of that score was the day and the 'not in the mood' attitude that was going on. Nicole is going to hit a few of those things in her last couple of months with AJ just to be safe though. On the next section Ayden Jane scored 102! This section she needed to identify things... Woo Hoo. On the next section, however, we find our problem. I cannot remember if she scored 40 or 60, but either way it was very low. Now the good news is that helps me get her qualified... It also revealed some things that make Ayden Jane hard to understand sometimes. Nicole described some things AJ was doing that she found very interesting and that she also feels are 'very therapy friendly'. Finally, she definitely is still missing some sounds that are supposed to come developmentally later and we expect will be delayed a bit.

All in all, I think it is good news in that the majority of her speech issues are articulation related. It seems that the hypotonia that comes with pws is at least part of the trouble, but I my gut tells me that the motor planning portion is giving her the most trouble. Definitely a little bit of the mouth coordination not able to keep up with the brain. As she tries to say more complicated things I see some frustration down the road if we don't keep working hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment