Friday, April 22, 2011

Several People Have Asked...

Several times it has come up that folks ask me what a typical day of feeding AJ is like. I copied and pasted an answer that I put on the list serve and then made it a bit more complete. I know there are lots of other things I have left out, but hopefully it is a good glimpse into how we eat. Yes, I eat very similar to AJ. She gets that different people need different food to stay healthy. She has friends with allergies... I choose to eat like her, at least when she is awake, because it just feels right to me. I do not ask my other kids to follow suit. She knows that they eat bread and occasionally drink sweet tea. She sat one morning in the midst of Noah and his friends chowing down cinnamon rolls and enjoyed her avocado without a care in the world. That it is okay for them because their bodies work okay with those foods. She knows that those foods do not make her feel good or grow big and strong. So far she is totally okay with that. I know that this is bound to change as she gets older, but we are sticking with it as long as possible!

An example day for AJ would be:

Breakfast about 8 after we drop the big kids at school.

2 scrambled eggs, applesauce or yogurt (to mix her supplements in), 4-6 oz. of almond milk (she does not tolerate cows milk well) Sometimes she is still hungry and eats a few almonds on the way to school.

Snack at school around 10

I send a plastic cup each day with her snack. I put in about a 1/2 cup mixture of almonds, walnuts and blueberries. Water to drink at school. Sometimes I surprise her with a bit of dark chocolate. Other snacks that have worked well are hard boiled eggs or grain free mini muffins to go with her nuts.

Lunch after school about 12:30

1/2 sliced chicken breast with almond butter (that's how she likes it), Clementine orange, 1/2 an avocado. Almond milk or water. If we are out to eat we let her have unsweet tea or a bit of diet soda. So far these have not bothered her.

Snack after nap 3:30 or so.

Nuts, greek yogurt with a bit of honey and cinnamon, tomatoes, apples with almond butter are a few of her favorites.

Dinner whenever we get to it! Too many sports activities in our house for a real time. Often we eat really early at about 4 and AJ just waits, eats dinner with us and has the snack at the game.

AJ eats whatever we do for supper with the exception of any breads, pastas... For example when we have tacos, AJ eats meat, tomatoes and lettuce out of a bowl with a spoon. She likes salad so that works with any main course. Sandwiches? She eats the meat and veggies... Occasionally I make 'pigs in a blanket' with the mini sausage. I throw a few in with no bread. You get the idea. Cottage Cheese adds a quick, protein laden side to any meal. If I put a few frozen berries in it AJ thinks it is a huge treat!

Somewhere throughout the day while we are on the run she usually goes through more nuts (pistachios are great at ball games and for strong fingers) and a hard boiled egg white. With older siblings we spend several nights a week at sporting events. Concession stand food is AWFUL, but we when we are just not prepared,boiled peanuts it is!

Honestly, the best thing I did to get used to thinking grain free/sugar free/processed food free was to force myself to do it for a bit. I became MUCH more creative when motivated to satisfy my own cravings! Once used to changing how you think about food it is really not so hard. I don't really focus on calories, just quality. I know what foods hold great nutritional value and that's what we try to eat. If you really look into the nutritional value of grains you will see we just don't really need them. We need protein and good fats. We can get enough carbs and fiber just fine from vegetables and fruit. We try to eat real food, shop the outside of the grocery store and think about our choices when out to eat. For example the last place to look for a meal for AJ is on the kids menu!

There are lots of creative people out there with great cooking skills that eat this way much better than we do. I wish I were a good cook and was creative with preparing vegetables. I am allergic to seafood and it just makes not want to be anywhere near a fish. Both would be great. Ahh to be artful with grilling, searing and all the other meat preparations that don't require breading or frying. One day, when I grow up I will learn to cook. Maybe AJ and I can learn together.

1 comment:

  1. Love this post! So good to hear what you are doing - it really helps me get ideas! Isaac loves clementines and almond milk too - I need to try to feed him more nuts. We still eat breads and pasta too - just the sugar free whole grain variety. I just don't have enough creativity to keep it interesting!!

    ReplyDelete