Saturday, April 9, 2011

Sibling Study Part 2 - diet

Well, I am a bit of a rebel when it comes to feeding Ayden Jane. The standard approach in PWS is to count calories and watch weight gain/growth to determine how to adjust them. I have chosen a different path. (I know I am not alone, but at times it feels like it) I choose to feed Ayden Jane a nutrient dense/grain free diet. She eats things that her body can use for growth and energy and .... What does this mean on a daily basis? I skip all grains (bread, crackers, cereal, pretzels, pasta) and junk food (sweets, chips...). She eats lots of meat, fruit, vegetables, nuts, eggs, yogurt, avocado... It is sort of like the paleo diet, but just Ayden Jane style. Now, I also have a great sense of what a portion size should be for AJ so I would not say that she eats limitless amounts of food.

So how did it hold up? I turned in her 3 day eating log and AJ is eating about 1500 calories per day. I didn't really know if this was high or low so I looked it up. According to what I found which was just a quick google search, AJ is eating as many or more calories per day as is recommended for a typical child her age. Dr. Miller and Dr. Driscol think she looks great and are happy with her BMI.

Her diet actually looked a bit lower in protein than Dr. Miller really wanted to see. I am not too concerned about it though because I know that we were on the go and AJ had quite a bit more fruit than usual and missed some of the good protein she would have gotten at home. Dr. Miller agreed and just said that she can handle a few extra calories so make them protein. To me that means when I serve up her protein during the day I will just increase each portion size a bit.

AJ also meets and in some cases greatly exceeds all the RDA allowances of vitamins and minerals for her age. That's before her multivitamin. Basically, we should all eat like AJ.

2 comments:

  1. That's great! I'm finding it hard to get protein in Dean these days, but that's really interesting that Dr. Miller wanted AJ on more protein. Food for thought (pun intended :)).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a close friend with a 4.5 year old girl with PWS. Obviously diet is an always evolving thing. I would love to see your food diary as AJ seems to get many more calories than most. Would you be willing to share that? bubbabritton@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete