Saturday, April 9, 2011

Sibling Study Part 1

This will be part 1 of I have no idea how many. We packed in so much in 2 days down there it will take me weeks to process it all. Not to mention recover on my sleep!

So, what happens at the sibling study? You check into the clinical research center, which is basically checking into a hospital. After the mountains of paperwork are signed, you don't stop until the next afternoon! Of course, we were a bit busier than most since I brought 2 siblings. That meant that each scan, test... had to be done 3 times instead of just 2. It just made sense, though, to have 2 sets of data to compare with AJ as long as we were coming. At one point we were going to bring Noah as well. I can honestly say I have no idea how we would have finished with all 3. Likely we would have just had to do 1 of the kids cognitive/learning style... testing after discharge or independently on the next day.

I think the big kids enjoyed, or at least did not mind, the scans and questions and cognitive stuff. They were really interested in everything and learned a lot while they were there. The only test that was hard on them was the 2 hr. glucose test. You know the one, fast all night, drink nasty sweet stuff and then allow your body to completely crash before you can eat again. It was hardest on Mckenna.

The good news about the glucose test is that although AJ crashed very quickly, she did not bottom out like she used to. She has had a heavy sugar load on once or twice and the results were scary. She just became listless an had a really hard time getting herself straight again. This time she did crash faster than the others, but she pulled out of it. It was like by the time the first hr. was done, she had already gotten better. That is a huge relief to me. I feel like now if she does get a hold of something, although it won't be great, she will handle it. (I do have to say though, that today is the first day I have ever seen her sort of crave carbs.) Really odd. Mckenna on the other hand, just got worse for the 2 hours. Kayla tolerated it very well.

So much more to say, but it will have to wait. My brain is no longer functioning.

No comments:

Post a Comment