Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Happy Halloween

This year I can truly say Happy Halloween because it went quite smoothly, PWS and all.

I don't think Ayden Jane really had a clue of what we were doing last Halloween nor do I think she remembers any of it. Now that she is a big 4 yr. old, she is very aware of what is going on! She and Mckenna were thing 1 and thing 2 for Halloween. (Hopefully a picture will come soon) They talked a lot about the costumes which we mostly just made. Ayden Jane was sooo excited because she loves to watch Cat in the Hat on PBS.

Halloween finally came and she was quite excited. Apparently, however, I had never really stopped to explain what we would DO. She woke up and asked, is it Halloween yet? I told her it was but not until dark, you know, after nap. So she of course wanted the days agenda so she could keep track and be sure she didn't miss it.

She did not have school but we did have a well child check. (I know, cruel thing to do on a holiday) After that we had speech, then lunch, then nap and after nap we would get Mckenna from her after school art class and get ready for Halloween. Hopefully a busy enough day to keep her occupied.

All went well until nap ended. She literally came sprinting down the hall after nap and said, "NOW is it Halloween?" I reminded her we needed Mckenna then stalled by asking her what she was going to do for Halloween. Here is her response and the ensuing the conversation:

AJ: We are going to the haunted house.
Me: I don't think there is a haunted house.
AJ: Yes there is, I saw it on TV (thanks Arthur, the one time she watches)
Me: Well that's just on TV. We don't have that around here. We go trick or treating.
AJ: What's that?
Me: You and Mckenna will dress up and go to the neighbors. When they answer the door you say trick or treat and they will give you candy. (sounds really crazy when you say it out loud)
AJ: Ummmmm. I will tell them I don't eat candy and they need to give me something else.
Me: No, you collect the candy and then you can trade it in to the Great Pumpkin and get a toy.
AJ: (Long pause) Cool! Is it Halloween YET?

In the end it all worked out great. Ayden Jane ran after Mckenna and her friend for nearly 2 hours. She only started to consider trying the candy when she was tired and hungry and we realized we did not bring a snack! She was thrilled with her Monkey George Memory game she traded for and we played a round before she was so tired she could not function.

Happy to have Halloween behind me for one more year.

No comments:

Post a Comment