Friday, August 2, 2013

Keto May Hold Answers

Summer is flying by.  So many things to post about lately... so little time.  One of the things that is being discussed in the PWS world is the ketogenic diet.  It is really fascinating.  I am not a nutritionist by any means and really do not know much about food.  Honestly, I could eat the same thing every day and be perfectly happy.

That being said, I do notice how food effects Ayden Jane.  It has been pretty obvious for a while now that Ayden Jane uses fat for physical and mental energy.  Also, that she does not use carbohydrates for much other than to store fat.  How do I know these things?  I'll start with the carbohydrates.

When AJ eats a heavy carb load, she tends to struggle to get words out.  She gets almost sleepy and honestly a little mean.  Dr. Miller explained the Krebs Cycle and it made sense...

So, why do fats work well for Ayden Jane?  I think the answer lies somewhere in the information on the ketogenic diet.  I have not done the food logging and all to figure out how close to keto we are, but as I have 'listened' to people who are truly keto and others trying to get there I am realizing just how much fat Ayden Jane is already eating. 

The idea of a keto diet is to eat a high percentage of fats (good fats like avocado, coconut oil, nuts...) and limit carbs and protein so that you sort of force the body into using fats as it's main energy source - ketones.  Ayden Jane's diet is not truly keto genic because she eats too much protein and because I have not really searched out all the hidden carbs.  For example, onions.  Ayden Jane loves them. 

I really enjoy following all the discussion and I am happy that for now, we are fine without going all out keto.  (which is really hard work)  Also happy that if Ayden Jane starts to have trouble we can go a bit further with her diet.  For now, I will continue to keep her carbs low and focus on ways to get good fats into her.  I am determined to get more creative for her and am almost looking forward to learning to cook better this fall when quantity is no long and issue.  Almost...

No comments:

Post a Comment