Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Cookies, Complicated?

I am home making cookies right now. As I make them, I am struck with how strange life on planet Prader-Willi can be. The cookie has always been an example of a simple pleasure. I remember coming home from school to the fresh baked smell or watching the tins of cookies fill up around Christmas time as my mom took on cookie baking as a second job for about a month before Christmas. I have also made cookies through the years for and with my kids. Watching them lick the bowl and grin ear to ear is like the definition of simple pleasure. It seems the perfect simple pleasure for the 6 foot 3, nearly 15 yr old, hyperactive boy in the house!

Enter Ayden Jane. Now when I look at cookies I see danger. For Ayden Jane, this simple pleasure becomes more of a deadly sin. I figure there are a couple ways to go about solving this dilemma. I can try to find recipes that will replace... not happening. I can ban such substance from existence. Not likely that will stick for long. I think we will just have to use a combination of indulging the 'big' kids when AJ is asleep or maybe spending the night with _________. And find other indulgences for AJ as she grows. Going out for treats seems to work really well. It is just less stressful than having them around the house.

So far, AJ is perfectly happy with an occasional piece of dark chocolate as a treat. In fact, when she gets one, we usually tell her, "only one." Now, she calls these treats Only Ones. My game plan for preschool birthday parties next year is to give her dark chocolate or a nut butter muffin (which she calls a cupcake) as a replacement for whatever treat is given. Hopefully, she will be satisfied with these and be able to enjoy the party.

So, yes the cookie looks simple enough. Question is: Simple Pleasure, or Deadly Sin. Both perspectives need to live in harmony in my house. So far, so good.

No comments:

Post a Comment