Friday, May 7, 2010

Abs Gallore

I mentioned last week that we came to the conclusion that Ayden Jane had some specific weakness in her abs. Jen could tell you exactly which ones AJ had been avoiding or turned off, but I don't remember. Ayden Jane has strong legs and has (finally) developed a strong shoulder girdle and arms as evidenced by her addiction to hanging on things and climbing. Jen feels that the weakness in the core is causing her to not 'link' the two together as well as she could. Makes sense to me. So what do we do about it? Well, we are trying to kick those muscles into gear with things like sit ups or pulling up her knees when hanging.


It is working. Just one week of adding these things in and she is LOUD again, even when she doesn't really mean to be. She obviously just feels good as she is a ball of energy and is even jumping off the couch onto pillows - new. Her belly is still out a bit which is why we began this process, but I love the progress and hopefully it will help the belly suck in...

We all hit the pool tonight, well, Kayla, Mckenna, AJ and I. It was cold and it was the first outing of the spring. AJ was a bit scared at first and I was shocked. I have never seen her with an actual look of fear. Of course, by the time we left she was swimming back and forth between Kayla and I and laughing at being thrown into the air and being dunked. At least I know it is possible for her to be afraid.

All in all, a great couple of days. Ayden Jane does seem to be heading into another one of her sort of sensory seeking phases though. I have to admit, though, I get excited now when I see it. What does it look like you ask? Going way to fast so falling more, playing with toys for 2 seconds so leaving a disaster in her wake, wanting attention at all times, needs lots of 'big squeezes' and deep pressure, a bit emotionally unstable since more easily frustrated and just plain distracted. What do I think it means? New connections being formed... cannot wait to see the results! If past experience holds true we should see some new skills soon. Maybe our leaping from the sofa is the start!

No comments:

Post a Comment