Friday, May 14, 2010

Eating Out and On the Go

As you know we have quite an active crew. We are on the go a lot to various sporting events for all 3 big kids. Now even if I pack all the food Ayden Jane needs, the other need to eat. I am not up for always having the perfect picnic lunch packed away for every occasion. So I had to find some 'fast food' options for our on the go family as well as some easy snacks/meal replacements for Ayden Jane that were not too obnoxious to keep on hand. Just thought I would run through how we have made it work and feel free to let us in on any secrets you have found.

Breakfast is easy. Most anyplace has scrambled eggs. We have found that a huge treat for Ayden Jane is McDonald's fruit and walnut salad. We don't give her the yogurt because I have hunch it is quite carb loaded, but she loves the apples, grapes and walnuts. Sure the walnuts are not the best with the bit of sugar on, but it takes her forever to eat the little tray full and she does not care in the least what we are eating. We live in a small town but the McD's has a fun play place so it means we go to breakfast as a family and it is 'normal'. If we need a quick drive thru the apple dippers are just the ticket.

Our other favorites for lunch and dinner are Subway and Chik fil a. When we go to Subway we order the kids meal sandwich or 6" but ask for no bread and just to put it in the salad bowl. They often look at me like I am nuts, but hey... So she will get chicken or turkey for meat and then tomatoes, cucumbers, green peppers and a side of apples. Chik fil a offers lots of options. There is the standard chicken nugget where I just don't worry about the bit of grain in the breading. My favorite, though, is the grilled chicken and fruit salad for the 2 of us to split.

For quick easy snacks we generally use nuts. She LOVES the dark chocolate roast almonds as a treat. They are sold in larger quantities, but can also be bought in the 100 calorie pack. I almost always have plain or dark chocolate with me. Ayden Jane also loves pistachios. As an added benefit, she really works those little fingers to open them up. Hard boiled eggs are another favorite for portable protein and mandarin oranges for easy open fruit.

More to come, but sleep for now.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks, Janet! I'm always looking for ideas for food and especially how you do it when you're out and about. I hope we can use nuts as a snack for Dean eventually because Cole is allergic to peanuts and he's not supposed to have ANY nuts. grr. Anyway, thanks for the tips!

    ReplyDelete