Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Fun and Siblings

First of all, some Ayden Jane silliness. It seems like 100 times a day now Ayden Jane does something or says something that just cracks us up. I will spare you 98 or so of them. Last night at Noah's soccer game, Ayden Jane had a bottle of water. Gary asked her very sweetly, "can Daddy have a sip?" Ayden Jane was quiet for a few seconds and then that grin came across her face. She answered, "Momma have a sip," handed me the bottle and giggled with glee.



I have been struck lately with how differently our kids handle having a sister with special needs. Some of the difference is age and some boy vs. girl, but mostly it is just differing personalities. Kayla is our oldest daughter and is 16. She has a wonderfully analytical mind and is okay with anything as long as there is a plan. If things change then a new plan needs to be developed... So for her, information is a good thing. She wants to understand the science behind everything she can with Ayden Jane. I answer all her questions as best as I can as she tries to understand the syndrome and the reasons behind all that we do for Ayden Jane. She is great for me to talk to because she puts up with my excitement over things most people don't even recognize as English. Noah is our only son and has just turned 15. He wants to know if there is something he can do for Ayden Jane or for me to help. As for understanding PWS as a whole, he has no real need and as long as I say I have it under control he is great with that. He lets me know I can ask for his help any time I need, but he is good to leave it there. He is aware there is a plan, but is very happy on a need to know basis. Then there is Mckenna. She is 8 (for a little longer). Mckenna has definitely had the hardest time with all of this. We had some other friends with serious health issues and even a death during the time Mckenna was attempting to process this all. I guess when you are 8 it is hard to find out that there are some things your parents can't fix, that sometimes bad things happen to great people and that sometimes people die even when you pray for them. I am happy to say that Mckenna is returning to her old self these days. She was born our strong willed child, full of confidence and ready to change the world. She cornered me Sunday night as she was going to bed after watching Extreme Makeover Home Edition and saw next weeks preview. (Family who's son has PWS) Let's say she went to bed REALLY late. In the end though, she told me 'they' need to take an x-ray type thing that can see what is going on inside and look at what is different in people with PWS. Then just fix it. I told her that 'they' are sort of doing just that but only with really complicated stuff. Next, she said, "so how can I help solve the problem." Today I found her on the computer writing a paper to read to her class for PWS awareness month. She has a few ideas for fundraisers during next years marathon week. Look out world for this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment