Friday, September 17, 2010

School and Appointments

First school. Ayden Jane loves school. From all the reports I am getting from her teachers so far they think she is doing great. I will eventually have to ask them to give me areas of need so I can work on things but for now I am just enjoying it. Why you ask? Well, I look at it this way. As much as I love to hear she is so great, I know there must be things she struggles with. If I don't know what they are, I can not help her conquer them. I know, I know. She is just a kid... give her time... I am just not sure that applies to AJ or any other special needs child.

Now don't get me wrong. I don't think they need therapy 24/7, just that the fact that we know some things are harder sort of means they won't just magically fix themselves. I have seen it time and again with Ayden Jane. She can do everything other toddlers do, but it often takes a few more guided practices before that muscle memory (or any other memory most likely) kicks in. I know that her developmental milestones have been met at low end of normal or only mildly delayed (which is incredible), but I also watched as she was literally taught to move certain ways. I know none of my other kids needed the teaching part. They saw, they did. I wish I could go back and watch them all over again and enjoy the magic. I knew they were amazing children, but I have such a grand perspective on how amazing now.

I digress. The point is, her teachers are wonderful and sweet and everything you could imagine in preschool teachers. They see her as a sweet, beautiful, incredible creation of God. I think it is gonna be hard for them to point out any shortcoming. Maybe I will just ask them to think of 3 things AJ and I can work on together.

Now appointments. I am really getting tired of them. Yes, I am whining and I really have no right to as things are going great. Here is the list. 2 hour home visit from the school district for transition to district services. (I only want speech but you gotta go through all the hoops) Hour or so of cognitive testing at the Elementary school. IEP meeting coming up on Sept. 30. Normal PT and ST. Eyes checked. Hearing screened. Monday I have an appointment to get AJ fitted with orthodics. 3 year well baby check coming. Return to Endo and to Genetics in Oct. I am sure I am leaving a few things out! I will be glad to be officially 3 with transition and 3 year appointments behind us!

No comments:

Post a Comment