Saturday, September 4, 2010

"She is so independent"

Okay, so on one hand that phrase makes me happy. On the other hand, it makes my days much more difficult than they have to be!

I have been told by many people that Ayden Jane is so independent and it is always meant as a compliment.... Sometimes I wonder if she is that way because we have always done what we can to encourage her to do things herself. Sort of like a life of therapy. I am guessing, though, that it is at least partly just the way God made her. (she is my daughter!) For the most part this is a very good quality. Sometimes, however, it is enough to drive me crazy.

For example, trying to get out the door to go... anywhere. Ayden Jane wants to choose her clothes and dress herself. I really have no concern for what matches and am pretty laid back as far as whether she is dress nicely or not. I do, however, insist that underwear go under the pants. Ayden Jane is capable of getting dressed but it is a long process, usually requiring a couple of tries on some article of clothing complete with a small tantrum over the fact that it didn't go smoothly the first time. Then there are shoes which may or may not be on the right feet. Finally, when we get to the car, she feels the need to get into her car seat herself...

I know that this is part of her age, turning 3! It is also part of the reason she is doing so great. All you have to do is tell her she can't do something and you have guaranteed it will be done! The trouble with her independence is that it is coupled with NO concept of fear. Parking lots can be frightening because she has no fear of moving vehicles. Crowds? her favorite place to practice bobbing and weaving. Water? she will jump in with no concern. Wandering off? all it takes is something to catch her eye and she will go anywhere. The only thing she reliably stays back from is strangers. At least I have that one covered.

I just hope that as her teachers continue to comment on how independent she is that they mean it as a compliment:)

No comments:

Post a Comment