Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Here We Go Again!!!

We had PT today and I discovered that although I hate to admit it, I am still clueless about many things Sensory Integration wise. I know all the old clues to the sensory integration needs Ayden Jane has had in the past. I could just 'see it'. Apparently, sometimes the needs change a little and look a little different.

Ayden Jane has asked me lately to 'play sand' (she has moon sand we pull out once in a while) and play doh. She has asked to go swimming. I did not think much of these. She has been determined to put heavy things on the counter and put groceries on the belt... She has been hanging on every bar she can find. She has been putting things down or stacking things a bit to hard. Her behavior has been frustrating. Her attention span has been lacking and her patience has disappeared (and mine has sometimes gone with it). None of these alone made me think too much other than she is 3 so.... I had a little bit of a wake up call when I gave her a different pillow case last night and she got upset and declared it itchy.

Then came PT today. Jen had a plan and brought lots of fun toys to motivate. I fed AJ and bounced on the trampoline with her to be sure she was ready to go. Ayden Jane could not focus on ANYTHING. She wanted to jump from one thing to the next. She went so fast in the activities Jen was doing she had zero quality. Jen worked some magic which included wrapping her in a blanket and doing some things on the ball. (I call her 'baby whisperer') She slowed down enough to get in some good work, but it was very apparent that a new sensory spurt was under way.

Jen said that she felt the need has changed a bit and I need to be aware that it may take different things to meet the new needs. She described it something like this. In the past the deep input need was central and core related. That is where the connections were going wild. She thinks that the needs now are a bit more distal. Not to say that means finger tips or anything, but shoulders girdle and arms and hands and legs (probably why she keeps putting stickers on her legs and goes into jumping fits) and feet. So, Ayden Jane has been asking for things to meet the need. The moon sand and play doh and hanging and lifting heavy things up high. I just did not understand her new sensory language. So we are now looking to do things that require pulling and pushing and strong hand work and resistance. We are crab walking and bear walking and wheel barrow walking on the trampoline. We are throwing heavy balls... It is just the beginning so I will let you know how it goes. As for now? She just went to bed nakey because every article in the house was too itchy! Neurons connect!


1 comment:

  1. that's so interesting. I really love it when you post the details of therapies; I always learn something new.

    ReplyDelete