Tuesday, December 14, 2010

HOT, don't touch

One frustration with Ayden Jane is that she seems oblivious to getting hurt. She will not take my word for anything dangerous. She is capable of learning that things are dangerous, but she brings new meaning to the phrase, 'learning the hard way.' Example: Hold on tight when you swing high. She grins and lets go. Ouch. One pretty big fall with amazingly no bones broken and she has never let go again.

One of the big worries I have had is that she always wants to do whatever I am doing and when I am cooking, she wants right in there with me. Hot stoves are a nightmare. Opening an oven door, ugg. Hot water, hot tea, hot cocoa are all things she is dying to discover the meaning of.... HOT.

Well, yesterday it finally happened. I was making soup and turned on the stove burner. I mistakenly turned on the front burner when I meant to turn on the back (how long have I had this same stove and do this constantly?). I noticed pretty quickly and switched them, but before the front one could cool down all the way, Ayden Jane put her hand right on it. If I could have designed it to happen I have to admit this would be it. She burnt her hand enough to get a full understanding of HOT and burning, but will be left with no real damage. Now maybe I can lower my stress when cooking.

3 comments:

  1. That's such a blessing to have supportive moms in her class. I've often wondered how much I should be telling people who don't know Olivia about her issues.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i do the same thing with the burners!
    Bummer that AJ got burned, but hopefully she will learn from this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. And I have to say that we've seen a similar lack of concern in baby form with Dean. I have a feeling we'll be going through a similar trial-by-fire process (no pun intended!).

    ReplyDelete