Monday, December 13, 2010

Hustle and Bustle

Wow. Busy. I think that sums up the holiday season right now. Not bad busy, in fact fun busy... busy. So how is AJ handling the hustle and bustle? She loves it. She seems to thrive on activity.

Today her school had a Christmas Party. I have to say that the other mom's in her class are awesome. They have gone out of their way to include Ayden Jane and I haven't really, formally in any way explained AJ's challenges. They basically know that there are some pretty strict dietary issues and they don't think I am a fruitcake or anything for the way I am feeding her. So nice not to have to hear, "well just one cookie couldn't hurt..." I have had 1 mom send home a Christmas gift of a cute little reindeer with a treat in it. She put almonds in AJ's :) Another mom contacted me and wants to send home a chex mix treat and asked if she could do mixed nuts and a little dried fruit for AJ :) Then, the mom's doing the Christmas party made sure I knew the menu ahead of time and I was able to send in a similar item in the grain free variety for AJ. So far so good. Ayden Jane has enjoyed the parties ect. at school and we have found alternatives for her for those occasions.

Ayden Jane's play continues to advance. Today she spent quite a bit of time making 'cupcakes' for us for our birthdays out of playdoh. (I make an almond butter muffin which AJ call's a cupcake) Apparently we were to attend our birthday party at school as AJ wanted to pack up her little back pack just like we do for school. She instructed us on how to get ready and go to school...She also decided that her babies were sick so she took them to Doctor Noah. He made them all better.... Only to have them hurt their legs...

As for Christmas? We went to see Santa on Sat. Well, we went to the mall to buy running shoes for mom and Santa was there so we decided to go say hi. It was hilarious. As we stood in line Ayden Jane switched back and forth from, "I like Santa Claus (with a big smile) to I not like Santa Claus (with a very furrowed brow)" By the time she was next she was really excited. She trooped in to see Santa and, of course, stood just out of his reach as stiff as a statue, went suddenly mute and stared. He worked on her for hugs, high fives, words... nothing. Finally he pulled out stickers to give her and she moved, smiled and whispered thank you. The moment we crossed out of 'Santas House' AJ went back to chatting up a storm and being her totally expressive self.

You can't see it, but the sign in the background says Santa's Beach House. That's for you northerners.


Just cute.


The reindeer in the adirondack chair just cracked me up.

5 comments:

  1. What a blessing to have such understanding parents in AJ's classroom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Janet,

    This is Bretagne, mom to Aaron, just turned two. Would you mind sharing your almond butter cupcake recipe? I am always looking for thiings he will eat, (still in the reticent phase) and he loves almond butter, thanks. And thanks for your blog, it is so helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The recipe is not original, in fact, it is off one of the list serves from about this time last year.

    1 cup nut butter (almond or peanut)
    2 small bananas
    2 eggs
    1/2 tsp baking soda
    1 tsp apple cider vinegar or lemon juice
    (optional) dark chocolate chips

    Divide batter into 12 paper lined muffin tins and bake at 400 for 10 min. (I make them in mini muffin tins with some mini chocolate chips and bake them a bit shorter)

    Recipe calls for a food processor to blend, but I just use a mixer.

    My big kids don't think they are so great, but Ayden Jane loves them so... it works for now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I tried those muffins and they did NOT come out well. Wondering if I goofed...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmm. I did say the big kids are not really fans... They are a bit dry and extremely easy to over cook.

    ReplyDelete