Friday, December 3, 2010

School Happenings and Aching Legs

I picked up Ayden Jane from school today and chatted with her teacher a bit. One of the things we talked about was that AJ seems to get along much better with the assistant now. I know I have not mentioned anything before and I can't say that AJ was necessarily bad to Mrs. E, just that she tended to argue more... with her. There just was not much of a bond between them. Mrs. J went out of town with her family over the Thanksgiving Holiday so Mrs. E was left in charge. It was great for Ayden Jane and after a few days of school where she had to lean on Mrs. E, I can say that AJ is now very comfortable with her.

I do have to say Mrs. J is amazing with Ayden Jane though. It is fun to watch as J seems to know when to give AJ a moment to process and when to just jump in and move her right alone so we don't get 'stuck'. It is very clear to Ayden Jane that Mrs. J is in control of the situation, but also that she loves AJ. This kid will definitely always need a teacher who is 'in charge' as AJ moves quickly to fill the void of power without a strong leader.

The other thing Mrs. J told me was that Ayden Jane had an amazing day. (I LOVE it when that happens) She was making a Christmas tree project of some kind and was counting the circles... Now Ayden Jane has been able to count to 10 for a while, but has been in the stage of not really getting the one-to-one correspondence. She now gets it. Not only that, but Mrs. J said she was counting objects into the teens. She also said that she is talking up a storm and totally gets what is going on.

Now if I could just get AJ to stop asking me how old I am. She understands that there are things called birthdays, but is having a hard time figuring out when you have one. She keeps thinking that maybe today I got older, or Mckenna, or Noah... you get the pictures. Impressive, though is that she totally gets that a bigger number is older. Seriously, this is the same kid who on her birthday in Oct. could not count to ten and had no 'number sense' whatsoever!

In other news, I am officially feeling the pain of training for the marathon again. Today was 17 miles! Watch for marathon updates and fundraising news coming soon.

1 comment:

  1. It's good to hear all the great things she is doing. Good luck on the marathon training. That is impressive!

    ReplyDelete