Saturday, December 25, 2010

Red Dye?

Well, the inevitable happened and Ayden Jane caught a cold. She has been fine with it and doesn't really seem miserable, but is definitely congested... A couple of days ago, Gary gave her some over the counter meds for it. Expectorant/cough suppressant. We could argue right or wrong, but that is not the issue. It just seemed that after she had the meds in her she was OUT OF CONTROL. She had also taken a good nap... So we tried the experiment again the next day. Wow. The energy she has after taking that stuff is almost frightening. If only she could focus for more than a second and had patience lasting longer than a nano second.

So what do I think was at the root of it all? Red dye 40. Why? Because she is a sister to Noah. Yep, I am thinking this one has nothing to do with her PWS genetics and everything to do with the rest of her genetics. When Noah was little he had the same reaction to the red dye. I once gave him an orange medicine (thinking it was red 40 free) and he switched from lying on the sofa, feverish and lifeless with pneumonia to running laps around the living room. He seemed to grow out of it over time (or maybe size).

On the plus side, if Ayden Jane ever suffers from day time sleepiness, I just might have a cure.

2 comments:

  1. ugggh! I despise red 40....my son actually looks for it on the ingredients when we are shopping. They push him over the absolute edge!! He already has tons of excess energy with his ADHD add red and I AM ready for a straight jacket. He does not like how it makes him feel either. I agree not necessarily a PWS thing...more of an allergy/intolerance. I do not know WHY they can't find another way to make food RED! ok OFF my soapbox! I hope you all had a wonderful Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is not just red dye. They will all bring on the same reaction if the child gets enough of it. Red is blamed because it used more than the other colors (Yellow #5 is 2nd). Watch the video at www.ADHDdiet.org

    ReplyDelete