Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Endocrinology galore

Ayden Jane and I went to our "local" endocrinologist today. I put local in quotes because it is still a two hour drive, but totally worth it! Dr. Miller in FL is also her endocrinologist, but we do not see her too often. Mostly I keep her up on Ayden Jane's height and weight, recent lab work...and she is amazing at answering any questions I might have along the way.

The trip is never fun for Ayden Jane. Two hour drive, sit in Dr. office, chat with Dr., two hour drive. Uggg. So, what were the results? I would say that we are in good shape. Ayden Jane is 38 5/8 inches. (3' 2 5/8") and 35 pounds. The height is great as she has been gradually climbing in her percentile for growth. She is up to about 60th now. Kayla and Noah were 95 th and above growing up and Mckenna is our 80th percentile or so kid. I think AJ is just trying to be one of the gang.

Weight was a bit elevated at 35 pounds(70th percentile), but she pretty much ate and drank her way there and was not interested in going potty. I know it sound crazy, but she can hold volumes when the mood strikes. Also it has been a long cold winter and there is just not much to do inside here. I am really looking forward to seeing what she can do this summer in the pool, on the beach, on the playground... Also, if you could see and feel her, you would notice muscle mass. Yep, she is a kid with PWS, but she has some good muscle, at least in her legs. I am even having a hard time giving shots in her legs because they are too dense and the needle cannot dispense all the meds. I end up losing more than the usual drop or two. Belly? Not a chance, there is nothing there. Poor little rear end.

On the iron front, Dr. Miller explained quite a bit to me as to why I am seeing the effects that I am seeing. It is nice to know I am not completely crazy! Anyway, she also cautioned that blood levels need to be checked because iron is something that can be over done. We agreed that since I am seeing her in April (2 months) it is okay to continue for now, but she will check it in April. I am going to also back it off a bit for the couple of months and see if I can get the same results. Maybe a 1/4 tablet per day.

1 comment:

  1. Someday would you mind posting the explanation Dr. Miller gave you about the iron? I keep feeling like Olivia is missing something but all the tests they run on stuff like that comes back in the normal range.

    ReplyDelete