Thursday, February 10, 2011

Return to Soccer Season

The signs are all around. Cleats in the hallway, dirty soccer socks in the laundry, smelly soccer bags... It is also a sign of spring! Or so I tell myself. Around here spring soccer includes Mckenna playing club (games on weekends), Noah playing High School Varsity, Kayla 'managing/student trainering' for the boys teams since there is no volleyball to play and Gary coaching High School JV. Me? Hmmm. I believe it is my job to make sure every body can find what they need, have full bellies, get to the games... on time, and ENJOY. Generally, the weather will get warm and hanging out on the soccer field is a great way to wait for the ocean to warm up.

So, what about Ayden Jane? As I watch my other 3 enjoy the game, I wonder whether Ayden Jane will play. Will she want to? Will she have the ability to enjoy it if she does want to? If not, what niche will be hers? What 'side line' will I be on in 5 or 10 years? Now, these questions would be asked whether Ayden Jane had PWS or not, it just clouds the picture. There is a part of me that sees AJ as capable of anything. I mostly listen to that part because she has shown it would be wrong to sell her short! I guess, for me, the difference isn't so much wondering what niche she will find, but it is that dark little cloud that still follows us asking will she find a niche. I did not really have that thought at all with my others. I knew they were bright, athletic, good kids. Not too much musical or artistic talent, but really enough to carry them through that also if they had chosen. It wasn't a question of will they find their 'thing' in life (or if one would exist), it was just a matter of which one they would choose.

So for now? Ayden Jane will hang out on the soccer sideline with me, enjoying the fresh air and bleacher climbing. She has fun cheering on her big brother and sister and generally just being outside. She occasionally kicks a ball with me and she is definitely a left footer like her sisters! I just hope it gets warm quickly!

No comments:

Post a Comment