Friday, May 10, 2013

Oxytocin

You may or may not have heard of oxytocin.  During the research conference in Canada last month there was some discussion of a study in France where oxytocin was given to newborns and it has promise to resolve some of the most challenging features of PWS.  I guess a part of me would be sad that Ayden Jane would have missed that window, but I can honestly say that I would be so excited for the next generation of PWS kiddos/families that I am way more happy about the thought. 

So, how does it work?  I have no clue in scientific terms but from what I understand, the low to no oxytocin levels are the start of a chain of events.  Or maybe I should say they don't start a chain of events?  Anyway, in a typical kid the oxy is there and the kids feed and their metabolism and intake balance works.  In PWS kiddo's they have no hunger at first and they do not develop a typical metabolism...  PWS infants given oxytocin suddenly begin to feel hungry and know when they need food.  The study is ongoing but the 2 or infants given the dose look promising. The idea is that if we can jump in that early on and correct this level that a much longer term development chain will be positively impacted

So that's all well and good but what does it have to do with AJ?  First of all, Dr. Miller reports that PWS babies who were induced have better eye contact ect. as infants than others.  The drug given to induce is Pitocin which is a sort of oxytocin.  My discussion with her was that Ayden Jane was induced and it took a long time.  This means that she was exposed to a fair amount of oxytocin for a good long while.  It is possible that this will somehow translate into positive things down the road.  I know it's a stretch, but it's nice to know that such a long day back in Oct. of 07 brought some hidden benefits.  We really did come close to c section a few times, but I hung in there.

No comments:

Post a Comment