Friday, August 1, 2014

Problem Solving

This morning I went out and ran some errands.  Okay, so I took a quiet breakfast to myself at Hardees and read a news paper then ran some errands.  I left Noah in charge of Ayden Jane with breakfast done and AJ dressed.

About 11 o'clock I got a call from Noah.  Apparently, Ayden Jane had asked for a snack and as Noah was talking with her trying to figure out what was okay food wise.... AJ lost it.  Some of you will understand what that means.  It does not happen often for Ayden Jane (as long as she stays healthy) and for that I am thankful!  It is hard to explain if you do not live with it.  Basically, she just gets over emotional, cries and argues and cannot reason or think through anything.  There is not much to do but let it pass and then deal with it.

Luckily, when Noah called I was pulling into the neighborhood.  I diffused things and after a few minutes Ayden Jane was ready to talk about what had happened.  She began to smile and giggled that the argument was silly.  She told me Noah still loved her when she even though she was difficult sometimes.

Then she came out with this question:  "does Prader Willi Syndrome make me loose control for no reason sometimes?"  Wow.  Loaded question.  Short answer - YES.  Definitely did not want to give her any excuses though!  So we had one of our famous long discussions ... which I ended with no matter what the cause, you need to learn to use your words and smart brain to solve problems before you lose it.

Ayden Jane answered, "I'm pretty sure I can do that.  So, should I use my words to tell Noah I am sorry first, or eat lunch first."

A couple times during the day she was getting frustrated with Mckenna (who tends to like to push AJ's buttons...) and she told her, "I am using my words to tell you I don't like what you are doing and I want you to stop.  I'm going to lose control if you don't listen."  What 6 year old talks like that!  She is hysterical and her understanding of her own challenges and effort to over come them continue to amaze me.

No comments:

Post a Comment