Friday, June 18, 2010

Flexibility (the emotional/schedule kind)

Now honestly, this word flexibility sort of scares me. Not being flexible, the thought that I would have a child that might not be. As I listen to older parents speak about their kiddos, I often hear about the anxiety and resulting behavior problems that come with change or uncertainty. The best solution to such things is, of course, structure, routine and schedules. Now I could live with such things just fine if our world operated that way. I tend to like to be able to plan, enjoy a sense of order and can even appreciate a land of color coded labels. However, I chose not to marry a structured person (which has been great for me) and we just have too many kids at differing stages of life for Ayden Jane to have a structured world. I attempt to start each day with a plan, but usually by lunch time the plan is barely recognizable. (Especially in summer!)

So how does Ayden Jane do with this? So far she has been awesome. She has learned to live a life on the go. We generally give her the job of announcing when it is time to leave and hear her use her authoritative tone to say, "Mckenna, time to go. Let's go Mckenna." (insert any name and it works. She has no problem even bossing Gary and I) With that she is more than willing to head out the door. When we arrive at our destination, she will frequently check to be sure every one is accounted for. The kids find it funny that she is constantly making sure they did not get lost somewhere. Often when the kids are not home, she will say things like, "Noah at soccer." or "Kayla workin'" You know you are in with Ayden Jane when she is expecting you to report your wear abouts.

We have learned that you don't tell Ayden Jane something that you know she will want to do if you cannot deliver. I have to admit, though, that she is no worse about this than Kayla was when she was little. Only difference was that Kayla would be sad, sad, sad but Ayden Jane does more of a sad, sad, mad, mad, mad.

I guess it all comes back to the question. Is it PWS or just being two.

No comments:

Post a Comment