Friday, June 4, 2010

UGG, AJ really does have PWS

Well, this was one of those mornings that PWS just slammed into me like a truck. It started as usual. Yesterday was just an easy day. Ayden Jane is looking great after the bump in gh. I can't explain what that means, just that she looks proportioned and lean and even a bit muscular. She had a great day yesterday on all fronts. She climbed and played like any active toddler at the playground. She talked Noah's and my ears off on a long drive to soccer training. She didn't finish her meals and never asked for food.

This morning I woke up about 7 to some odd noises. It seems Gary did not put up the baby gate across the hall before he went to bed. The pantry door must not have been shut tight either as the knob sticks and Ayden Jane cannot open it by herself yet. I found Ayden Jane in the living room. I also found a box of carnation instant breakfast on the sofa with the packages pulled out and 'squished' but not opened. A box of poptarts on the table. The packages were pulled out and scissors were lying next to them. (Yes, we do still have poptarts in the house) A jar of peanut butter was on the floor of the kitchen unopened with a bottle of maple syrup. A box which has 'stuff' in it that was on the pantry floor was also drug around the corner into the living room.

That all said, Ayden Jane did not actually eat anything, but it was not for lack of trying. I was surprised by her effort as the drawer where the scissors are kept was still open and is in the other room from where the poptarts and scissors lay. Also, I think she chose those things to go after, not because they are things she is not allowed, but just because they are what she could reach. (yes, I will be rearranging the cupboard today) Funny thing is, I cleaned it all up and then made breakfast. Ayden Jane didn't even finish it!!

On one hand I think her seeking was less about the actual food and more about getting into a closet that she normally cannot. I have no doubt, though, had she been able to open those packages she would have eaten her fill.

It is odd how she wakes up and is so 'independent'. She has no fear of the dark quiet house before the sun rises. She doesn't need to come find one of us... She is even quiet in her play. With the gate up, she plays in her room until Mckenna hears her and tells her to go find Mom. Then she comes in with us and reads a book or falls back to sleep. (this is for mornings when she wakes at 5 or so) Lots of mornings she sleeps sound until 7 or 8 and we are all up and about when she wakes. 2 of my other 3 kids were ones that often ended up in bed with us at those early morning hours... 4, 5 or 6. It is different though. They came stumbling in still sleepy and looking for cuddles. Ayden Jane wakes up rarin' to go looking for activity.

Now, to relax and enjoy those great days and still remember that PWS lurks at every corner. I guess routine is our friend. We have only had AJ sleeping in the other room a week or so and the baby gate routine is not yet ingrained. I just hate when PWS rears its ugly head like that. I just want to squeeze AJ and tell her I am so sorry she has to fight this thing. I know she is giving it all she has and I pray for the answers to come through research SOON! All these little kids with PWS I have met are so sweet. There is something about them that makes you just want to squish 'em and cheer for them.

1 comment: