Sunday, June 26, 2011

Nemo

So, I believe that I am living my own version of the Disney movie Nemo. Ayden Jane is obviously Nemo. She has a nagging disadvantage, (note to self: find a fun name for PWS, like lucky fin) but a huge heart and an unbelievable amount of determination. Me? I am Marlin. I find myself sounding like him multiple times a day, "You think you can do these things, but you can't Ayden Jane!" I won't, however, pin the roll of Dory on any of my friends.... although I am sure there is a comparison there about being guided by well meaning medical folks that might feel a bit like Dory as they try to piece together this crazy syndrome. I know that I feel at times like they are speaking whale.

Ayden Jane is not touching a boat in the open sea, but she is interested in touching a moving vehicle in a parking lot. I don't have to cross an ocean (although somedays it seems like I am) to save her, but she can be a full time job.

The courage and determination in the kid are astounding. Nemo is also an appropriate name as the crowning accomplishment so far this summer is that she has learned to swim. She has been working hard at it and if you have followed at all you know that she has plunged fearlessly ahead. The breakthrough has come! Tonight, she swam toward me and when she stopped to take a breath she managed to get going again. She was so excited she sputtered, "i taked a breath and keep on swimming." Sure enough she was able to repeat it and I would now call her a swimmer.

Go Nemo Go! As for my part? I will do my best not to sound like Marlin. Can't promise I won't be thinking like him though.


1 comment:

  1. That's so exciting! Way to go AJ!

    Just keep swimming - Just keep swimming! :)

    ReplyDelete