Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Ramblings

First off, the big bloated belly has resolved. It did so over a couple of days where all Ayden Jane wanted to do was drink and she pottied more in 48 hrs. than she does in a normal week! I have no idea why it came or why it went. I guess I will leave it as an unsolved PWS mystery for now and worry about it if it continues to randomly occur.

Next up, PT today. Jen is happy with how back to symmetrical Ayden Jane is but she definitely has some work to do on the hanging belly. Ayden Jane hangs her belly on the ligaments in the front and has managed to stretch them out pretty well. She has enough trouble with this problem and then went through the massive belly thing and wow. It is always fascinating to watch Jen work with her on this stuff. She started by having her stand with her heels up on a notebook. (elevated her heels). At first AJ could not even balance properly, but once she figured it out, she was standing beautifully with her back straight instead of swayed. It is another way to approach getting her to stop locking/hyper-extending her knees. They they moved on to lots of belly work and Ayden Jane looked much better. I am guessing that new orthotics in the fall when we go back to school (and actually wear shoes) will be necessary.

On other fronts, Ayden Jane's swimming is getting amazing. Today for the first time she was jumping in the water (slightly over her head) and coordinated getting a breath. She has jumped in the past but just held her breath the whole time and could not figure out how to breath when she came up. I am really hoping this will translate into being able to take a breath while swimming. (Hoping to get some help getting pictures soon!!)

Speech. This summer is our first ever break in ST since Ayden Jane started at 15 months. Last fall we transitioned to the school district for speech and Ayden Jane was doing great. We talked about whether to continue services over the summer and we agreed that we should take the summer off. Now, I don't know that taking a summer off of speech is an option for a lot of families because the speech is working on language/communication skills like vocabulary and expression. For Ayden Jane speech is just for articulation. I was really wondering myself how she would do without it. Let's just say, we (the family and extended family) all agree that AJ has lost some articulation skills. It is not horrible and I am not ready to call Mrs. R, but I will be glad to get her started again. I think AJ will be glad to get things going again so she doesn't have to repeat things so many times! I am sure she will quickly get back on track so I am not really worried, but I can say I am glad to know that it is a totally worthwhile hour a week!

No comments:

Post a Comment