Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Now what

I sort of have that 'now what' feeling . The marathon and fundraising... is over. I am guessing the lack of an actual race and finish line is adding to the feeling. I don't do well with that sort of feeling, so I have moved on to tackle food and sensory integration. Food and cooking I am NOT looking forward to, but I really enjoy the sensory stuff. So why? What am I attempting?

Food. Ayden Jane needs all the right food and none of the 'wrong' food. It seems that a diet much like the paleo diet with no grains serves her well. I am heading down 2 paths with food. One is to turn my diet into Ayden Jane's diet. One reason for this path is that the more I read, the more I am convinced it is the best diet for anyone. Secondly, it just makes me feel like a hypocrite to ask her to stay away from all the cereals, crackers, cakes, cookies, candy... and then eat it myself. Not that I am expecting to be perfect mind you, but I need to do a whole lot better. Now, while training for the marathon I ate EVERYTHING in sight so it was not the time. The other thing I am looking to do food wise should be a natural outpouring of the first. I need to learn to cook. I think if I do not allow myself the convenience of processed foods to eat, I will more likely learn to find things that Ayden Jane can eat long term. I am hoping I will even find sort of alternatives for some things like ice cream... As I experiment and learn, I will let you know. As for now, I am in the reading books stage.

Sensory Stuff. Our kids with PWS seem to very frequently have some neurological glitches with sensory processing. There have been times I have posted some of our experiences but I am reading more books which will hopefully give me lots of good ideas to keep that little sensory system developing. I just have that momma feel that this is a key area for Ayden Jane long term. It seems to effect her mood, skill development, language development, confidence... I need a better understanding of the theory and reasoning behind it coupled with some ideas in my arsenal and I think we will have a great time this spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment