Thursday, February 11, 2010

Valentines

Ayden Jane was so cute this morning as we were getting ready for school. Now school for her is once a week in a mom's morning out program where she will go to preschool next year. She had an armful of 'babies'. She is not attached to any particular one, and her gang of babies nearly always includes Mickey mouse and Tigger or some other animal. Anyway, I was attempting to get her out the door to school and wanted to avoid the inevitable question, "babies go to school?" So I cut her off at the pass. I told her to put her babies down for a nap so she could go to school. Off she went on her mission to put about 8-10 'babies' down for a nap in my bed. She carefully tucked them all in and told them to be good and go to sleep. Then we almost made it out the door when she turned and ran back. She climbed up on the bed to give the babies kisses. It was precious. She hopped down and told me in her very important voice, "let's go Mom. I big. I go to school. I like school."

It was wonderful. It was just like most every other house with a 2 yr old. Life was good.

We arrived at school and as I was feeling so great about how smooth everything seems to be going. Then I noticed all the kids coming in with valentines and candy and cupcakes.... Oh yeah. Class parties. It will be interesting next year. Her teacher told me that they were not doing any special snacks for her group so I was in the clear for today. Still... That dark cloud of 'fear' began to return.

When I returned to pick up Ayden Jane, she greeted me with excitement and an adorable Valentine she had made with her hand prints. Then she had to show me the tunnels they played in and try to sing the song they sang.... Yep. It will all be just fine. We will figure out ways to deal with the junk food and Ayden Jane will continue to grow and learn and be filled with joy and wonder from it all.

I think in the beginning the dark cloud loomed large over our days and nights almost continuously. Over time the cloud begins to break up or lighten up. Sun begins to peak through for periods of time. I look forward to the time when sunny skies and cloud free days out number the cloudy ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment