Monday, February 22, 2010

The Seeking Continues

I will attempt to recap our day. I did manage some laundry and general cleaning in my bedroom, but it was definitely at the expense of the destruction of our living room. One of the things Ayden Jane tends to do when she goes through these sort of sensory seeking times is empty every bucket and shelf. Go through every drawer, try on every article of clothing... Now none of these things sounds out of the ordinary for a 2 year old, it is just the extent to which she does this and the other things that she combines them with.

She, of course, had to draw on her hands and feet but at least she left her face alone. She attempted to 'break into' everything she knows she should not. She whines in the back seat as I drive that her legs or back hurt. I think she means more like itch or just plain don't feel right, but it obviously bothers her. I went to the laundry room to 'flip' the clothes and when I came back out I heard, "look Mom. I up high." Her speach was beautifully clear which was wonderful, however she was standing in the middle of the dining room table quite proud of herself.

Then there are the requests for her back pack, big squeezes, climbing on me, asking to go upside down, requests for 'gotcha', bouncing galore. Bouncing on her little horse, bouncing on the bed, bouncing on the exercise ball seated, bouncing on the exercise ball standing (yes, with help)...

The day is done, the house destroyed, I am tired of being a jungle gym/play set and Ayden Jane is sound asleep as content as can be.

I used to be a bothered by some of these spurts. I worked with them sort of with the intent in my mind that they were challenges to conquer and put to rest. Now I see them as just a part of the journey with Ayden Jane. She really seems to keep me guessing. Each time we see this stuff come up, we find ways to address or feed the underlying need and sort of think that maybe this time it is done with. Ayden Jane just grins as if to say not so fast. I am looking forward to the nicer weather and getting her swimming and playing at the beach. Talk about a sensory playground! This summer she will be old enough and mobile enough to really enjoy it all. I just hope she loves it as much as I think she will.

No comments:

Post a Comment