Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Homework

I have a confession.  I am terrible at having Ayden Jane do her homework.  In fact, I really don't even like that we have homework in Kindergarten.  That's a big confession for a teacher!

Ayden Jane's teacher is great.  Actually, even her homework system is great.  Ayden Jane has 'required' homework on Wednesdays.  The rest of the days there are assignments on a calendar for the month.  The ideas are simple and they are just small things we can do to reinforce what the kids are learning in class.  (okay, fine.  I have no reason to complain about homework)

I have not been great about creating homework time and doing the smaller activities with Ayden Jane.  I decided it was time to step up as mom.  So, tonight's assignment was to write 10 sight words.  Hello?  I didn't even know that Ayden Jane knew what a sight word is!

I offered to help since I was sure that she could not even name 10 sight words let alone begin to spell them!  You would think I would learn.  First of all, Ayden Jane does not need help, just ask her, she will tell you she already knows everything :) 

So how did she do?  If you looked at the paper you would have no idea what she knows, but watching her do it and listening to her sound out the words as she writes them....  Holy cow she knows so much more than I thought!!  She thought of and spelled 8 sight words on her own.  Sure there were mistakes, but only the kind that some from the English language being so complicated.

Let's see, she knew exactly what a sight word was.  She could name them.  She knew how to spell most of them!  You would think by now I would stop underestimating the kid.  I feel like Marlin in finding Nemo.  "you think you can do these things Ayden Jane, but you can't"  Apparently, she can.

No comments:

Post a Comment