Saturday, March 6, 2010

Lately I have been trying to imagine what Ayden Jane will be like as ... well, older. What will school be like? Will she be able to play sports well enough to enjoy them? Will she still love music? Will she be able to handle regular classes in school? Will she go to college? What will be her biggest struggles with PWS? Mostly, I guess, will she be happy?

I think it is helpful that I have older kids. They are quite gifted and things come very easily for them. Why does that make it easier? I am not sure, but I watched Mckenna play in a soccer tournament today and saw in her the joy of playing. She is good and plays at a pretty tough level for an 8 yr old. She had a rough game the first game because it was her turn to play goalie and lets just say it didn't go well. Then the second game came and things went her way. The smile on her face as she came off the field, that is why she plays. I want to see that smile on Ayden Jane. I think it will be there. It may not come from a game with a top level club soccer team, but it will mean soooo much even after a front yard game with mom and dad. I think it will take some thought to figure out what is best for Ayden Jane, but I picture maybe a swimmer. Something where she can be a part and be happy and we can celebrate her accomplishments as though they are Olympic medals. To us her accomplishments will be better than Olympic gold.

I know that in many ways life will be hard for her. She will simply have to work harder at most things. Somewhere in that though is a great satisfaction with the accomplishment of each mountain. With Ayden Jane I have been reminded to stop and celebrate the tiny accomplishments. Not to take things for granted. I think with my big kids I sometimes miss the little accomplishments and treat them with a sort of, 'well of course you got straight A's' attitude. I forget to let them know how proud of them I am for being great kids and developing their talents.

Ayden Jane helps me to not take things so seriously and to stop and enjoy the moment. There is nothing better than watching the joy in Ayden Jane when Mckenna plays with her. Or the laughter of all the kids as Ayden Jane grins and teases them in some way. She just seems to bring out the best in everyone. So no matter how hard my brain tries to pin down what her future will be, happy is what comes to mind as most important. I think that is what I should be imagining for all my kids, but it is easy to get caught up in their accomplishments and abilities. It is easy to forget that gifted, average or challenged in some way, we should all focus on using our talents to honor God, having a joyful spirit and blessing others.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for posting this! Lillian is almost 6 months old and I find myself wondering the same things about school and life. I just hope she enjoys it as much as we enjoy having her in it.

    ReplyDelete